The America for Bulgaria Foundation is pleased to announce the funding for the 2010 Norman E. Borlaug International Agricultural Science and Technology Fellowship Program (Borlaug Fellows Program) for Bulgaria.
The Borlaug Fellows Program promotes food security and economic growth by increasing scientific knowledge and collaborative research to improve agricultural productivity. The Program offers training and collaborative opportunities in international agricultural economics, agricultural research, leadership and policy to Bulgarian researchers.
Each Fellow will work one-on-one with a U.S. mentor who will coordinate the Fellow’s training and visit the Fellow’s home institution after completion of the training. The USDA will select U.S. host institutions and mentors for each Fellow.
The 2010 Borlaug Fellows Program is administered by the United States Department of Agriculture, Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS).
The application deadline for the 2010 Borlaug Fellows Program for Bulgaria: April 9, 2010.
- Provide entry-level agricultural economists, research scientists, faculty, and policymakers with one-on-one training opportunities in the fields of agricultural policy and research (see targeted research areas below);
- Provide economists, scientists, faculty and policymakers with practical experience and exposure to novel perspectives and/or new technologies that can be applied upon completion of the program in their home institutions;
- Foster increased collaboration and networking to improve agricultural productivity and trade;
- Facilitate the transfer of new economic, scientific and agricultural technologies to strengthen agricultural practices;
- Address obstacles to the adoption of technology such as ineffectual policies and regulations.
Targeted Research Areas:
- Agricultural Market and Policy Analysis
- Animal and Plant Health and Veterinary Science
- Food Safety/Biosafety
- Agricultural and Food Biotechnology
- Forestry Science
Length of the Fellowships:
Fellowships are 6-8 weeks in length.
Candidates will be evaluated, interviewed and selected based on the following criteria:
- Citizen of Bulgaria;
- Good working knowledge of the English language
- Minimum Masters degree with three years practical experience or working towards Masters degree with five years experience;
- Early stage of professional career;
- Experience and focus in agricultural economics or food safety policy development or research;
- Currently employed at a research institution with the intent to continue working in their home country for a minimum of two years following their return from the United States.
Eligible candidates are invited to submit the complete application including the following attachments no later than April 9, 2010.
- Application form
- Program proposal (2-3 pages)
- Signed approval of the applicant’s home institution
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official copy of transcript of college degrees
- Copy of passport identification page
Interviews for applicants who pass the initial screening will be held the week of April 19, 2010.
For questions relating to the application process and to submit an application, please contact:
For additional information about the Borlaug Fellows Program, please contact:
The USDA/FAS Coordinators for the 2010 Borlaug Fellows Program for Bulgaria: Catherine Chesnutt: Catherine.Chesnutt@fas.usda.gov